Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wig Shopping

Who knew that wig shopping when you are thinking about a bilateral mastectomy and then 8 chemo treatments over 4 months could actually be something fun?? 

First off, I have to give a HUGE thank you to my friend Tracie for tonight, for everything.  She has been great!  Tracie, thank you.  I love that we have been hanging out more lately and I've really been looking forward to it. I've had so much fun each time we've gotten together!

I was so worried about wig shopping.  I knew that this could be a very stressful time for me.  I mean, I'm losing my friggin hair!  By the end of February, I should be bald.  That SUCKS.  I know I am going to absolutely freak out when my hair starts falling out.  I was so nervous about even thinking about wigs. 

My social worker told me about PaulaYoung.com.  Um, some of them actually look NICE.  Okay... sure.  But what do they look like on me?  How do I get fitted?  Actually trying them on??

Monday when I went to my "Look Good, Feel Better" thing through the American Cancer Society, I was talking to a woman who is currently going through the same chemo treatment and schedule that I'll be on.  She said to bring a friend with me when I went wig shopping.  Basically, someone who won't let you look like ass but who will be there to help you get through it. 

SO glad I listened to her.  I immediately thought of Tracie.  I talked to her about it that night and she was in.  That night I started on Google to find any wig shops near by. 

Okay, talk about surprise.  Paula Young wigs?  In West Bridgewater!  About 5 miles from my house.  Seriously a few minutes from the 99 Restaurant that my boyfriend and I go to almost every friggin Friday night! 

And they are open late on Thursday nights.  So I called and booked a private room to try them on for 6pm tonight and Tracie met me there.

I do not do short wigs.  Especially the "Katie"!  LOL!  Wow, that one was NOT good! 

But Jaclyn Smith has a line through Paula Young.  And they are kind of nice!  And who knew I'd like brown hair?  I haven't had hair that dark in over 15 years!  But I kind of liked it. 

The wigs were less expensive in the store than they were online, and they weren't even bad online.  I ended up buying three wigs tonight, all from the Jaclyn Smith line and I only spent $250.  I still have another $100 left under my health insurance.  (only bad thing is that the $350 wig allowance is by PLAN year, not calendar year, and my plan year is July 1st- June 30th.  Oh well. Since chemo will end in June, I'm sure I could get another few wigs in July too).

We were at the store for 2 hours as they pulled different colors from the warehouse shelves for me to try.  Some were not great colors.  Some not great colors started to somehow look better after a few minutes, to the point that those were ones I even bought. 

Tonight I didn't cry.  When I first thought about buying a wig, I was so scared and overwhelmed.  I didn't want to go through it. 

Not only did I not cry tonight... I laughed!  I had fun!  I really had a good time. 

So Tracie, THANK YOU!  You took all the anxiety I had over this right out of it and lightened up everything.  I needed your support tonight and appreciate you being with me for this SO much. 

Now I need to figure out when I can go back for Gwyneth in the color I want!!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment