Saturday, December 29, 2012

Who To Tell

After I first found the lump and was going through the process in October, I only told a few people what was going on.  Obviously Jim knew.  I was texting him on the ultrasound day and he took me to the biopsy. 

A few people at work knew, since I was leaving for so many appointments, and a small handful of friends.  That was it. 

The day I got the results, Jim was with me.  I texted a few friends later that day as well as called my parents.  Later that week I told more friend, work and many people in my family.  Little by little I have been telling others as well. 

The kickboxing gym was tough to tell.  And I miss being there SO much!  I'm not sure if I will be able to go again before surgery.  It depends on how I do after the next egg retrieval and how quickly my body adjusts back. 

Jim and I go to the 99 Restaurant every Friday night for dinner at the bar.  They all know us at this point.  Kevin makes Jim his Jack and Diet.  If we are on Johnny's side of the bar, he's putting my beer down as I'm still standing up taking my coat off.  I've been thinking about telling them for a while now. 

Tomorrow I'm chopping my hair off.  We'll have next Friday to go there, but the following week I'll be in the hospital after surgery.  I won't be going for the few weeks I'll have the drains in after that either.   I wanted to let them know we'd be MIA for a bit and I wanted to tell them before I chopped off my hair.  It might be harder to tell new people after after tomorrow.

So last night I told Kevin, Clare and Johnny.  We see them every week.  They know us now.  We know things going on in their lives and they know about our lives. 

They all hugged me good-bye as we left last night.  Clare took the bill off the bar, crumpled it up and tossed it out.  I was touched when Johnny looked at Jim and asked him how he was doing.  He's right around our age and I think he gets it from Jim's perspective more. 

They were all just so nice.  I know they were all concerned about me and genuinely worried about me.  They all said to stop in and see them and to let them know how I'm doing along the way.  It was nice. 

That got me thinking... I want to kick him out of the house on Friday night the 25th.  Make him go to the 99 without me.  That'll be 2 weeks after surgery, so I should be feel better by then.  I'll still have drains in and won't be completely heeled yet, but I want him to go out. 

So I want a couple of friends to come over and hang out.  Bring some wine, and snacks and we can hang out.  I won't be much of a hostess or anything like that.  So everyone will have to bring everything themselves.  But we can just hang and chill out and I can see friends.  I need to get on that!

And the week before that too.  I already have friends lined up to be at the house Tuesday-Friday during the day when Jim is at work.  He's going to work from home on Monday to be there with me.  But at night?  He still needs to get out!  He goes to the gym Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights every week.  He'll skip the day of my surgery, but I want him to go the week I'm home.

I don't think I'll be ready or comfortable to be home alone all those nights.  Anyone around any of those 3 nights to hang out?  Monday and Tuesday nights he should leave by 7pm and he's home by 9:30.  Thursday nights is a little earlier.  He should leave by 6:30.  That night he can be home anywhere between 8-9. 

I feel like I'm asking for a babysitter!  And in a way, I am.  I need someone to sit at the house with me to make sure I'm okay in case anything happens. 

It isn't just that one week either.  I want him to go to the gym three nights a week.  He NEEDS that.  That's his release during all of this.  He has to go.  When I'm in chemo, and even that first week... having people come over to hang with me those 3 nights would be really great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment