Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chemo, Day 1

Today has been a pretty busy long so far.  I was slow moving this morning.  Maybe by procrastinating, I was letting myself not have time to think about everything. Then it was hurry up and rush to get ready and leave. 

We got here right around 9am.  First they took my vital, then I headed to the infusion room, #13.  Hmmm... Wonder if I can request a number next time.  I like #9! 

One of the nurses put in my IV and drew my blood.  They needed to test my levels to see where I am starting at.  (her IV thing took 2 attempts then).  From there, we moved to across the hall to an exam room where we waiting for the Medical Oncologist.  Dr. Manera is excellent.  I really like her.  And I also got to meet the nurse practitioner, Amy, who is great.  She just transfered to this location from Boston. 

I had my normal list of questions, ranging from foods to avoid, things to avoid and things which could impact Jim.  Without getting too personal.... (not that this whole blog isn't but still), when the chemo is put into my system, it is in my entire system and all of my bodily fluids.  ALL bodily fluids.  So, basically, Jim needs to go shopping for condoms to protect himself from me. 

We headed back and they started the IV with fluids only.  Then one of the prep drugs was put in, plus the 5 other pills I had to take for anti-nausea meds.  SO far so good. 

I had a slight break, stopped to hit the bathroom with a large coffee and a 20 ounce bottle of powerade.  And I grabbed a sandwich from the fridge.  Luckily I was almost done when my friend Christine popped over from the main hospital next door that she works at.  I kicked the wheeled table getting up and sent everything, including my sandwich remains, FLYING!  Ooops.  Like Jim says, can't take me anywhere!! 

That reminds me of kindergarten.  For those HS friends who read... I had a very specific nickname from only one person.  Literally for the entire time I was in school.  I can't remember if we were in kindergarten or first grade for her October birthday.  Whichever year it was, we were all sitting downstairs playing games for her birthday.  One was "Wonderball".  Remember that one?  With the song?

The wonderball, goes round and round.... Hmm.. Okay, Tried for a few and I can't remember too many words to it!  LOL! 

Well, we were passing the ball round and round like the song.  When it came to me, the ball slipped right out of my hands and ended up in the middle of the circle.  Birthday Girl yelled, "BUTTERFINGERS!" 

About 12 years later, she said, "Happy Graduation Butterfingers!"  It stuck!  :)  I guess things never really change huh? 

Anyway... after Christine left, they needed to fix the IV again.  It was in but with that med, she needed it to do something it wasn't doing.  SO, they were going to have to take it out and poke me a 3rd time!!  URGH!

They ordered some anti-anxiety meds for me at that point.  Since the IV was in, they waited for the meds, put them in through that one before putting in a new IV line... give me a chance to chill out before poking me for the 3rd time. 

YUP!!  Drugs are working!  I could sleep right now!  WOW... Chilled out.  Laying back in my own little recliner.  Phone next to me.  Laptop on and typing away.  It was chilly so I put on my scarf and grabbed the blanket that Jen had made for me.  All  snuggled up. 

I had Jim take a picture of me.  Too bad I look like I'm HIGH!!!  Oh well. 




See, all snuggled.  Now I have a few more things on the shelf behind me.  Jim moved the table over for my protein shake that I was holding, along with a few other things.  Jim has his own recliner on the other corner. 

We brought WAY too much with us, but that's how I roll!  :)  A big bag (thanks Jen!) for the blanket (again Thanks Jen!) and a hoodie, which I haven't needed.  My sweater I took off the second I was here, with my jacket.  Jim's jacket.  A cooler with the 3 powerades, 2 protein shakes, my yogurt, Jim's yogurt, then the other snacks that just fit in that better.  We have a laptop back for my laptop and his iPad.  And my small drawstring backpack for a magazine, notebook calendar and other small things. 

Yup, packed too much.  But we have been here for pushing 6 hours already!  LONG day! 

So far so good.  Feeling okay.  I'm listening and trying to get down as much fluid as I can to push this crap through me.  Two 20 ounce powerades, an 11 ounce protein shake, and I'm working on the 16 ounce Cafe Mocha from Starbucks in here.  Then I'll start back on the last of the 20 ounce powerade bottles. 

For someone who doesn't like to pee in public places... I've been 3 times since we have been here!  WOW!  Guess the between the IV fluids and all I've been drinking, its working.

Plus, I'm really really trying to get in good protein and lots of it.  No soy based protein for me, so it makes it a little harder.  But the Protein shake had 15 grams.  Breakfast (eggs with cheese and 1/2 a Greek yogurt) was about 28.  Egg salad sandwich for lunch, about 12.  So I'm at 55 for the day before 3pm.  My daily goal is 77 grams.  NOT EASY!  Oh well.  Figure for today it is even more important to get it in plus all the fluids.  Do what I have to do, ya know?

Otherwise, that's it.  Only cried once here... after Christine left when they were going to have to put in the IV for the 3rd time and were trying to talk me into getting a port, which I do NOT want to have.  Surgery to get it in and out, and it is there the entire time.  I have already been under anesthesia 4 times in under 5 months.  I'm having another surgery in the fall.  I don't need to add in 2 more!  That's just insane.  So I'll avoid it if I can.

Another reason... I hate needles.  You'd think this would be a reason to HAVE the port... something that stays in and I don't need pokes after that while its there.  NOPE.  It is a constant reminder and ALWAYS there. 

Last reason... its another f'ing scar!  I already have 2 scars that are 4 inches long on my chest.  Just above my chest, why would I want to add in another one that is 2 inches?  No f*cking thank you!  ALL SET! 

That's what was about to set me off and that's when I asked for the anxiety meds. 

We will see what happens and how this whole thing goes.  The meds for the prep along with the anxiety meds have me crashing hard.  Hard to keep my eyes open (which is why I look high in the picture!  Pretty much am!)  Day one starting to come to a close.  No side effects while I'm here but who knows what is to follow.  Crossing my fingers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment