Friday, February 15, 2013

3 Days Post Chemo

I guess so far so good.  I haven't gotten sick at all this week from chemo, just a little nauseous here and there.  But the meds they have given me are doing their jobs I guess. 

The biggest side effect at this point is the absolute exhaustion.  I'm so damn tired!  ALL the time.

Yesterday morning I had an appointment at 7:30 which was a long appointment.  We stopped at the store on the way home and got back around 10:30.  By 11:30 I was asleep on the sofa.  Out cold.  That was nap 1 of the day.  Then there was another and I was still in bed last night at 8:30! 

Today I got up with Jim around 6:30, so a nice 10 hours of sleep.  Its close to 11 now and I'm starting to crash again.  I tried to do a few things when I had some energy.  Folded some laundry and put it away, cleaned out a big bag of paperwork, organized a few things on the table I have set up next to the recliner I seem to live on.  But now?  Ready to nap again. 

Wednesday was the same way.  I wasn't sure how I'd be the day after chemo so I asked my friend Michelle to hang out with me for the day.  She was here around 8am and I was doing great all morning.  I was starting to get tired late morning but showered and we left the house around 1 to head over to Dana Farber.  I was supposed to meet with my social worker but she said she forgot about a meeting. 

At 2:30 I had my shot which is supposed to boost my immunity after the chemo treatment basically knocks it all down.  But they had a surprise for me and not a good one.

I still don't want a port.  I was ambushed by the chemo nurse and the social worker before they gave me the shot.  They double teamed me about getting a port, about the benefits of it and why they recommend it. I still don't want it and was in tears as they kept going on and on and on about it.

It just felt like I was being attacked.  And that sucked.  Thank GOD Michelle was right there with me.  She jumped in and asked about side effects, the risk of infections (she knew someone who needed it done a couple of times because it kept getting infected). 

So I'm not happy about it and I'm not thrilled about heading back for chemo again.  I know I'll be teamed up on next time I'm there too and I just don't want to deal with it. 

But, for my next chemo treatment, its Crazy Cousin Judy!  (LOVE YOU JUDE!)  And I know if anyone starts anything or gets on my case too much, she'll be right there and all over it.  At the same time, I'm sure she'll put me in my place if I need it too.  Which I could... especially after my initial 5 year old reaction on Tuesday. 

Otherwise, things are low-key and settling down.  Just getting through each day, day by day.  All I can do. 

I've been trying to prepare for how low my blood counts will be.  They told me that days 7-10 will be the worst.  That'll be next Wednesday to next Saturday.  That will be when I'm most at risk for picking up any infections plus I'll be really run down then as well.  I can't imagine being more tired and run down than I already feel now!
I have sanitizer on a table in the stairwell, I cleaned a lot last weekend. 

OH!!  The Ellie Fund.  WOW!  What an amazing organization.  Please consider giving ANY support to them.  Yesterday they dropped off food for me, which I got to pick out.  A total of 8 meals, each with 2-3 servings.  They are doing it again in March.  Last night I ate some of the Veggie Lasagna (half a serving, but it was all I could manage to eat last night).

Another thing the Ellie Fund is doing is house cleaning!  Four visits, 3 hours each.  They were supposed to come today but with last weekends storm, they were a little behind and are now going to come tomorrow.  If someone could really do a GOOD cleaning in the kitchen and bathroom, plus the floor in the living room that would be amazing. 

With Jim missing work taking me around, being busy at work... he's working SO much at home.  Last night when I was in bed at 8:30, he was working until after 10:30 last night.  He spends hours at night and on weekends trying to catch up on what he misses with me during the week.  Cleaning that much just gets pushed back a bit.  And I completely understand that.  There is only so much he can do and he's already doing SO much.

SO between the cleaning and the extra food in the house, what an amazing help! 

And another side effect I forgot was the eating.  NO appetite.  None.  I'm basically forcing myself to get food down.  I know I need fluids to flush the chemo through my system.  I've been trying to focus on sports drinks since I'm not getting too much in food.  And then I have my Atkin's Protein shakes.  Those don't have soy in them and they are pre-made and taste really good.  15 grams of protein in only 11 ounces.  Nice and easy. 

But food?  URGH!  SO trying to eat what I can and do what I can. 

So that's it for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment