Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

This year, Thanksgiving has taken on a new meaning for me.  I have a different perspective this year.  I've always been thankful for the wonderful people in my life, but now it is just a little different.  It means more right now. 

I have said for so long how lucky I am to have great people in my life.  It took me a really long time to realize that I could control who I let into my life.  When that finally clicked, I realized it was time to let a lot of toxic relationships end.  It was what I needed, but it was also hard.  I let so many relationships just fade away. SO many. 

When it was time to start building back up, the doors just opened.  Maybe I had done enough soul searching and work on myself that I was just in a better place.  Maybe it was all that new-age "The Secret" sort of stuff... put it out to the universe to get what you want.  Who knows!  All I know is that I met some incredible people! 

Being a list and goal sort of person, New Years is my Superbowl.  I have literally spent HOURS writing in my journal to review the year and come up with goals for the next year.  After a course with a Life Coach years ago, I took on her idea to name my year to give it a theme, a purpose.  And then my New Year Resolutions are part of that theme. 

The first time I did this was in 2008, which was my Year of Slimming Down.  WOW!  Friendships changed, my "stuff" downsized and I let so many things go, not just physical, but drama and bs too. 

The year that my entire life changed was 2009.  HOLY CRAP!  One of those 'be careful what you wish for' sort of things.  Since I had cut out so much in 2008, it was time to build back up in the right way.  That was how 2009 became The Year of New Experiences.  My resolution that year was to do two things each month outside of my comfort zone.  ALMOST stuck to it. 

I tried new foods, sports, and even went to the movies alone for the first time.  The basic test was... if I got that pit in my stomach about something, then I HAD to try it!  Push those boundaries!  When I started, I never considered that each month, with all those new experiences, that my comfort zone would expand.  By the end of the year, after zip lining, rock climbing and everything else, I was running out of ideas.  My comfort zone had expanded so much that nothing was off limits anymore.  That was an incredible year!!

2009 was also when I first started organizing the Couch to 5K training.  (how did I go from that to the Boston Marathon in less than 2 years????)  Because of organizing that through Meetup.com, I met some amazing women!  Even my Puerto Rico trip for the Diva Half Marathon, I met them all through this group.  I didn't know any of those 5 friends before 2009! 

Now, with that fitness group, I have made so many incredible friends.  My fellow "Divas", Jennifer walking the Turkey Trot with me this morning and Tracie sending me such a great email today too!  And those are just a FEW!  We send emails out to the 11 of us all the time for girls night or whatever. 

And that's one group of friends that I have.  Just one group.  Not the other amazing people in my life.  :)  I have SO many people it would take me all day to list you all.  (only Jennifer and Tracie since they were today!  No offense to anyone else!!!!) 

So yeah, I've been saying for a while how lucky I am to have so many incredible people in my life.  I have known for a very long time that I have a pretty long list of people to be included on that "OMG its the middle of night and I need help, who can I call?" list.  I have SO many people on that list. 

Now I know that even more. 

This Thanksgiving is different for me.  As much as I have always appreciated the great people in my life, it is very different for me this year and it just means so much more to me.  I am so grateful that I have such an incredible support system and amazing people all around me.

Thank you to all of you.  My friends, my family, my support.  I love and appreciate you all.  I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

And to my amazing, incredible and OFF THE CHARTS boyfriend!!  :)  Babe, I love you so much.  You mean the world to me.  You are my rock and I could not have gotten through the past month and half without you.  I'm sorry I'm a psychotic bitch and yell and scream and take it out on you when I am so frustrated and overwhelmed.  PLEASE know that even if I might be yelling at you, it isn't about you.  Thank you for being with me, by my side and for reminding me that we will get through this together.  I know that with you in my life and with your support, I can do anything.  I love you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment