Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here in the US, today is Thanksgiving.  This year I have really spent so much time reflecting and always being grateful for the blessings in my life, but Thanksgiving really is a time to focus on that completely. 

This 28 Days of Thanks has been great for me to consider different things to be thankful for, not only for the people and experiences in my life.  So here is finishing that up. 

25.  A Talent I Have


This is a hard one for me.  I'm not sure what talent I have.  I know that I am able to disarm people when I want to and I'm really good with non-verbal communication.  I can read people very well.  Is that a talent?  I don't know.  But I am thankful for these skills.  I may not always remember them, or I may become too emotional to use these skills, but I am so grateful for them.  I can make people feel at ease in conversation and can meet others without coming off aggressive or defensive.  This has been extremely helpful with my trips to the state house working on this bill. 


26.  A Memory


I love memories.  I love reaching back to happy moments and reliving them in my mind's eye, almost like watching a movie.  I have so many that I reach back to and I am so thankful for them.

Thinking of my grandmother, I have so many incredible memories.  Even at 30 years old, I would sit on her lap with my head on her shoulder.  It is from her that I am a hugger and a touchy feely person. 

One of my favorite memories from when I was little is from Christmas Eve when I was 3 or 4 years old.  We were at my grandfather's brother's house in Lexington for the big family Christmas Eve dinner.  Everyone was downstairs, waiting for Santa to arrive.  At 3 or 4, I didn't know that each year different guys in the family took turns as Santa.  All I knew was that Santa was coming! 

Everyone was sitting around the edge of the room as Santa came into the room through the bulkhead door and made his way around the room.  I was sitting on my grandmother's lap waiting for Santa to come over to me.  I was SO excited!!

Santa came over to me, put his hand on my face and said, "Merry Christmas, sweetheart". 

I was SO angry! 

I turned to my grandmother and yelled, "That's not Santa!!  That's my grandpa!!  My grandpa calls me sweetheart!!" 

Yeah that is one of my absolute favorite memories.  It always brings a smile to my face. 


27.  Anything About Fall

I am thankful that I live in a place where we can experience all 4 seasons, even though I don't love the winter.  Fall is so nice with the fall smells, pumpkin patches, apple picking, beautiful colors and crisp air. 

28.  A Day of Thanks

I love Thanksgiving.  I am so grateful for the day with family and friends. 

Today was the 5th year in a row that I started the day off with a 5K at Braintree HS.  I only did the walk this year again, but it was so nice to do the walk with my friend Jen and to start our day off with a little exercise.  We got to catch up, chatted about family, thanksgiving plans, Christmas plans, her wedding next year and so much more.  I look forward to it and it has somehow become a part of my annual Thanksgiving tradition.

Although I won't be with my family today, I will be with Jim's family.  They have accepted me completely into their family and have made me feel as if I am one of them.  If anything ever does happen with Jim and I and if we are no longer together, I know that I would stay in touch with his family.

I am very thankful that he has such a wonderful family. When dating someone, you never know what you will end up with his family... good or bad.  I got the best with Jim's.  I am so thankful and lucky for that and for them.  I am really looking forward to seeing them today. 


So that was my 28 days of thanks.  I wasn't able to log on every single day to log each topic of thanks, but I got them in here. 

It was a nice way to think of different aspects of my life and to remind me of what I do have all around me. 

I truly am blessed with the wonderful people I have all around me. 

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment