Sunday, November 24, 2013

No Computer

I love Stella.  I really do.  But in the 48 hours between Wednesday afternoon to Friday afternoon of this week, she ate, chewed or destroyed (besides actual dog toys or chews):
A doggie bed
A flip flop
A boot
The carpet
Plaster next to the door
A thick wooden knitting needle (SHREDDED with splinters across the living room)
The cord to my laptop charger (no computer and I forgot to do overnight shipping once I finally found the cord online)

All of that was just within 48 hours!!  She already had destroyed another doggie bed, ate the cord to the space heater and right now I can't even remember what else. 

SO we bought more dog chewy toys and rawhides for her.  She loves the rawhides!  I just thought at 7 months, so would be out of the teething puppy stage.  Guess I was wrong.

Anyway... that's my excuse for not writing anything all week.  I was a bit early in the week, had another day at the state house on Wednesday (going SO well and the bill has moved on a again, this time to Third Reading which is kind of a big deal that its gone this quickly).  So here goes to catch up on the 28 Days of Thanks.


17.  Health

After this past year?  Yes, I am extremely thankful for any good health that I do have.  I'm grateful for the doctors who have treated me.  I'm grateful I live where I do and  have access to some of the best health care in the world.  I'm grateful I survived cancer and I'm here today.  That's kind of a big one. 

I survived.  I'm alive. I survived breast cancer and I'm here to tell about it.  I got through it!  Yes, I have so much just about "Health" that I am grateful for. 

I wish all of my friends and family and all of the people I love to be able to take their health for granted, as I did before cancer.  I can't do that now.  For the rest of my life, in the back of my mind, when anything happens, I will forever think about the worst and about cancer. 

Today, I am here.  I am alive and living life and doing what I can to make a difference in the world and to make it a better place.  I am grateful and thankful that I am here. 

18.  A Daily Indulgence

I don't know if this is what this is going for or not, but something I am thankful for each day is snuggle time.  If its falling asleep in Jim's arms, or the hugs he give me,  or (like right now) having Stella asleep on my lap as I have Jim's laptop resting on the arm of the sofa.  Or when I fall asleep on my side laying on the sofa and Rocco lays behind my legs and uses my knee as his pillow.  Or last night when Jim wrapped his arms around me, spooning me, with Stella at my stomach and Rocco at my feet. 

Every day, multiple times, I am snuggled up with both dogs and with Jim.  I NEED that every day. 

19.  A Trip

Overall, I do not travel all that much.  I don't take too many trips and I haven't been to too many places.  So any trip, no matter how short, is something I am so thankful for.  Just the chance to get away and go somewhere. 

This year that meant even more to me.  The week at the cape in July was such a great week.  Even though I had to come back 4 mornings for radiation treatments, I was still away and still had a break. 

Then in August, I had the best weekend away in Utah through Images Reborn.  I am SO unbelievably thankful for that weekend.  I needed that weekend so much.  It gave me a chance and connect with other women around my age who have gone through similar experiences.  I am SO grateful for the chance to go on that trip. 

Next, is a trip (hopefully) in January.  I want to be away over January 10th, the anniversary of my surgery.  I do not want to be home for that.  I want to be somewhere else, making a new memory of that date.  We haven't started planning anything yet though.  I don't really care where we go, but somewhere for a couple of nights, away. 

20.  A Project I Did

Hmm... what project am I thankful for?  I think right now I'm thankful for the work I'm doing with the Breast Density Coalition to change legislation in Massachusetts.  I'm happy to be working on something this important to potentially change the lives of so many women.  I feel very grateful to be part of the team I found and to be heading into the state house two or three times a month to meet with legislators and to try to have an impact. 

21.  Dessert

I'm grateful for dessert anytime, anywhere! I LOVE dessert! I love that I am able to splurge on dessert when I want to have it. 

Most recently, I am grateful that Friday night our regular bartender forgot all about the salad I had ordered. Because of that, I still had room for dessert!  So he made me a wonderful Apple Crisp with vanilla ice cream.  It was so yummy!

22.  Faith

I'm not a very religious person.  I was brought up Catholic but I can't remember the last time I went to church other than for a wedding, christening or funeral.  But I am more of a spiritual person.  I do believe there is more out there. 

On top of that, I talk to my grandmother all the time.  I know she is here for me and I can get answers in different ways, but I know she is around.   

I am grateful that I have a faith that I believe in which has helped me get through some of the dark days I have had in the past year. 

23.  A Special Day in my Life

Every day is a special day.  I'm alive.  After going through cancer, I am thankful for every single day I am here. 

24.  Jewelry

After my grandmother passed away, my grandfather gave many of us different pieces of my grandmother's jewelry.  I was so happy that he let me have the necklace she wore every day, complete with kinks and a ton of charms.  It isn't something that I would wear now, but I love having it.  It reminds me of my grandmother and was a big part of her personality. 

One ring I have, I love.  It is a simple little pearl and diamond chip in yellow gold.  But I remember  when she got it.  They were in Hawaii and they went to a place where you could buy a oyster and each oyster had a pearl in it.  My grandfather had that ring made out of the pearl in the oyster they got.  I love the story and I remember it.  I love wearing the ring and being reminded of my grandmother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment